Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Pumpkin, Banana Bread for a friend

I made this for an event two winters ago. A friend of mine who eats gluten free absolutely loved it. In fact, I think it's quite charming that she has mentioned it nearly every time I have seen her since then. Also since then, I have been able to eat gluten again. Therefore, preserving this recipe here is serving two purposes: an easy way to share it with Penny and keeping it for forever on the internet so if I ever need it in the future, I'll know where to look. [And since I came back to publish this draft, my body has decided it doesn't like glutinous products again.]

Dry ingredients:
5 cups Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 GF Flour--the blue label (see note below)
6 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking powder (see note below)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
to taste: ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon

Wet ingredients:
5 bananas (brown spots are good)
about the same quantity of cooked and pureed pumpkin (or canned)
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4+ cup pure maple syrup
1 1/3 cup coconut oil
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

Basically:

  • mix the dry together.
  • mix the wet together. (see note below)
  • mix the dry with the wet until well combined and smooth.
  • spread coconut oil into two 9" x 5" loaf pans.
  • put the batter in the pans.
  • bake at 350 degrees F until the middle of the loaves are 210-220 degrees F.
  • place foil on top if they brown too much before they're done.
  • remove from oven and let set for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.


The Notes Below:

  • I like to mash the bananas on a plate with a fork so they have a smooth consistency. Although, using a stand mixer accomplishes the same and will also incorporate the other wet ingredients quite handily. 
  • I use a corn-free substitute for baking powder: 1/2 part baking soda, 1/2 part arrowroot, and 1 part cream of tartar.
  • In the original bread I made that Penny ate, I used a homemade gluten free flour mix that may be found by clicking here on these words. The recipe that inspired mine above is also at the same site. These words are a direct link.