Squash-ish Pie-ish aka Squash Piefflé

Yeah, so I'm not exactly sure what to call this dish. But, it is delicious. So delicious, this is the only picture of it I was able to get.



And also so delicious I wanted to record the recipe so I can make it again. I feel like I've said that before. Bonus: It's cow-dairy-free!

We were given a huge squash. I don't know the name of it. I would say it was the size of a pumpkin but that would not be helpful as those come in all sizes. It was about the size of a basketball. Wait. Those are various sizes too. A big basketball. Probably a bit bigger. It was pale green with white-ish "warts." Hansome butchered and baked it for me then I took it from there. He hinted at a pie. I was thinking soufflé. So, I came up with something in between. I was thinking a graham cracker crust would be easy, but I wanted easier. So I just used whole graham crackers to line the bottom and sides of a baking dish. (The ones from Trader Joe's that are smaller, thicker, darker, and coated with sugar on one side. I don't remember what they are called. Hansome took out the recycling and I don't want to go dig through the mini-dumpster outside in the dark.)

The squash itself was quite sweet, sweeter than a butternut squash. I probably could have used even less sugar. I mixed it up with some other stuff and added a crumble topping. I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer for the filling because the tough fibers of the squash get stuck on the mixing attachment instead of in my teeth. This became our "second dinner" at six yesterday because Hansome was hungry and ready for dinner at four. The kids were too. I guess we must have had a light lunch. This dish was so tasty that it was hard not to eat too much! We decided to save most of it to eat this morning for an easy breakfast before Bible class so we wouldn't stuff ourselves last night. This morning I kept forgetting to put it in the oven and then ran out of time to warm it up. Guess what? It's good cold too!


Squash-ish Pie-ish

Crust:
Trader Joe's Graham Crackers 

Filling:
Cooked squash, pumpkin, or yams (red garnet are my favorite): enough to fill a two quart casserole
1/2 cup "white" sugar (I used evaporated cane juice from Costco)
2 eggs
1/2 cup melted Tropical Traditions Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil (I used "odorless" this time.)
1/2 cup Almost Farm goat milk
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. sea salt

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/3 cup melted Tropical Traditions Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil
1/2 cup rolled oats (usually I use Bob's Red Mill Thick Rolled Oats, but we are currently using up a bag of "regular rolled oats" from WinCo. If I were using the thick rolled oats, I would break them up in the blender or coffee grinder first before using them here.)
nutmeg to taste (or cinnamon, cloves, allspice, cardamom, pumpkin pie spice or Almosta Farm's "Everything Should Taste Like Dessert" Spice or your favorite combination of these. Simply nutmeg was very nice though, and that's probably what I'll use next time too.)
optional additions: shredded coconut, chopped nuts

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease/Oil your 2 quart baking dish. Line bottom and sides of baking dish with graham crackers. (I cut them lengthwise to fit the sides.) If you are using the last of them, go ahead and dump the crumbs in too.

Into a mixing bowl combine the filling ingredients until well mixed and smooth. You might want to break up and beat the squash by itself for a bit first.

Pour over graham crackers and smooth the top flat. My batter was a pudding consistency. (Of course, pudding can be different viscosities so that doesn't help much. Sorry.)

In a small bowl, mix the topping ingredients together. Sprinkle onto the filling. 

Bake 40 minutes. Let it rest for a while once you take it out and it should set up. Enjoy!

Did you try this recipe? What did you think?