Chicken and Rice: Comfort Food from the Pressure Cooker

Not eating (cow) dairy makes it difficult to create a yummy, smooth, creamy chicken and rice dish. (Yes, I could make my own cream of x soup using goat milk, but that's like making two meals and only eating one.) Enter the pressure cooker. I put this together last night because I wanted to start it and walk away. Now I'm writing this so I don't forget what I did, because it was scrumptious!

Creamy-without-the-Cream Chicken and Rice

2 cups brown basmati rice
4 cups water
1 red onion, chopped
1 pound baby carrots
2 pounds FROZEN cubed RAW chicken (yes!)

That's it! I simply put all these ingredients into the cooker, set the timer for 16 minutes, then walked away. An hour later, I opened the lid, stirred it up and put it on the table!

After it had been on for a while, I remembered that I had not put any seasoning in the pot. Not even salt. Oops. At the table I offered salt, pepper, Trader Joe's Garlic Salt, and Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning as toppers. It didn't take much. I would have eaten it straight out of the pot. It was so good--nice and smooth and creamy!

Next time, if I remember, I will set the chicken out on the counter for a couple of hours so it will squish down in the pot better. Or, if I forget or too many people complain I could make my family sick doing that, I will do what I did last night. I used very warm water, then set the cooker to 'saute' while I was adding everything else. This warmed and softened up the lower part of the chicken brick so the top did not touch the lid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leftover Oatmeal Quickbread

Seven Ways We Make SWR Work Better for Us

How I explained Interment to Our Four Year Old