Chicken and Rice: Comfort Food from the Pressure Cooker

Not eating (cow) dairy makes it difficult to create a yummy, smooth, creamy chicken and rice dish. (Yes, I could make my own cream of x soup using goat milk, but that's like making two meals and only eating one.) Enter the pressure cooker. I put this together last night because I wanted to start it and walk away. Now I'm writing this so I don't forget what I did, because it was scrumptious!

Creamy-without-the-Cream Chicken and Rice

2 cups brown basmati rice
4 cups water
1 red onion, chopped
1 pound baby carrots
2 pounds FROZEN cubed RAW chicken (yes!)

That's it! I simply put all these ingredients into the cooker, set the timer for 16 minutes, then walked away. An hour later, I opened the lid, stirred it up and put it on the table!

After it had been on for a while, I remembered that I had not put any seasoning in the pot. Not even salt. Oops. At the table I offered salt, pepper, Trader Joe's Garlic Salt, and Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning as toppers. It didn't take much. I would have eaten it straight out of the pot. It was so good--nice and smooth and creamy!

Next time, if I remember, I will set the chicken out on the counter for a couple of hours so it will squish down in the pot better. Or, if I forget or too many people complain I could make my family sick doing that, I will do what I did last night. I used very warm water, then set the cooker to 'saute' while I was adding everything else. This warmed and softened up the lower part of the chicken brick so the top did not touch the lid.